Saturday 14 November 2015

Studying for the GMAT Part 1: When to Start

If you've read my previous post, then you've probably seen that to get a good score i.e. 700+ out of 800, you'll want to put in at least 100 hours of study time. Of course this is if you're the average person and not a super genius. I started out with a 720 GMAT score in mind since that was within the 80% range of the schools I was looking at applying to.

I initially started studying in March, with the view to take the GMAT sometime in early July so I would have time to do a re-take or two in case I needed to (at the time the wait between re-takes was 31 days, but GMAC changed the rules in July, reducing this to 16 - read about it here). For me personally, I started too enthusiastic and too early, which led to a GMAT study burnout some 2 months down the road after doing silly study hours on top of very long hours at work with no down-time. This led to me doing zero study the whole of May and a slow start in June when I picked up the books again. Plus, I ended up pushing out my planned first take by a week (luckily I hadn't booked it in yet due to not being sure when I would be able to take 4 hours off work).

So on hindsight, if I had started a bit later and paced myself, it would have been more efficient. I also had to re-review the material I had studied previously since I had that 1 month break in between. In any case, when I was looking up study resources for the GMAT, I came across this 2-3 month study plan by GMAT Pill which was very helpful as a base for my own study plan.

If you're looking for study plans for the GMAT, there are tons out there - the GMATClub forum offers several variations depending on what your objectives are. My advice? Don't waste too much time hunting for "the perfect" study plan. Pick one and adapt it to suit you.

No comments:

Post a Comment